Saturday, October 18, 2003

Pink Floyd was one of the bands that I grew up on. They're terribly out of fashion now, but these primordial ringings don't stop just because they're not the flavor of the month, so when I saw that Netflix had the newly released Dark Side of the Moon Classic Albums series DVD, I had to put it at the top of my queue. It certainly is a must-see for old-timer Pink Floyd fans, it will give you a new appreciation for the record. The editing is just brilliant, cutting between original footage, finished track, demo recordings, and current day re-creations of performances.

The "Money" sequence in the bonus features had me captivated. Roger Waters explained the creation of the opening rhythm track with all the *ka-chinging*, and then producer Alan Parsons recreated in a studio how they took that tape, using the original, and looped it for the master, using a microphone stand as a spindle for the loop tape to go around. Very low-tech by today's standards. I happened to have a guitar out (for the first time in over two months) and I couldn't help but start playing along with the bass line as I did as a teenager, but then, all in real time, cut to David Gilmour in a studio demonstrating all the guitar parts by isolating them and cutting everything else out. It was great fun trying to keep in time with this 7/8 signature bass line, while David Gilmour punched various guitar parts in and out.

It makes me wonder what music I'm listening to now will excite me just as much 20 years from now.

No comments: