Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Is it that time again? To give blood? The blood bank has been calling, and unable-to-commit me, I told them I would be a walk-in either today or tomorrow (or the day after or next week, but I didn't say as much). I'll try to make it down there today. Get my free dougnut. I also went on a 51 mile ride on Sunday that I didn't know would turn out to be a 51 mile ride, so I'm not gonna do anything strenuous anytime soon. Mind you, for some people 50 miles is easy. For me, it's at the upper end of what I can do alone, given the current state of my ride preparation. It was supposed to be easy, too, riding the Iron Horse Trail in the East Bay from Dublin/Pleasanton BART up to Walnut Creek. That trail is as flat as any stretch of pavement in the Bay Area, and I did 19 miles of it. But then from there, I headed towards the hilly open space and ranches of the East Bay reservoirs, doing most of that loop, and then climbing the 600 feet up the East Bay hills on Wildcat Canyon Road. I guess doing all that was dumb, I was already struggling at mile 25. But since I knew that some BART station or another was in range if I seriously bonked, at least I had that safety net. With the exception of the Paradise Loop, I guess that was my first real "ride" of the season.

It was nice and hot for that ride, but it's starting to cool down again. Today is sunny but windy and I hate riding around town in this weather because it's impossible to dress comfortably. If you dress for the wind and chill, the sun and the riding heats you up really fast. Then if you shed layers, the cold and your sweat make you freeze. But I saw a documentary last night on the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge and now I want to go and appreciate it. Usually I ride the western catwalk at top speed without stopping. It really is a beautiful bridge. From the art deco architecture of the towers, to the engineering, to the color and how it changes with the light through the day as well as through the seasons, to how it complements the natural surroundings. It's absolutely perfect. Imagining any other structure would be appalling in comparison.

No comments: