Sunday, August 10, 2003

Back from southern California, Amy's gone. I was at least aware that at the same time Delphine and I were driving south on I-5, Amy was driving north on I-5 to Portland. Best of luck to Amy in law school. Her friendship during her last few months in San Francisco meant a lot to me and I'm-a gonna miss her. Nothing spectacular, no howling at the moon, we're both low-key personalities socially; just steady, reliable, low maintenance companionship and bar-hopping. I really couldn't ask for more.

I have nothing bad to say about Delphine, but although she passes the "4 hour hang-out test", two full days together may have found our limit of tolerating each other. In more in-depth conversations, our minds have trouble meeting, and just the way we communicate (receive and transmit), the signal to noise ratio is pretty high. We view the world in different ways, and that's fine, par for the course, really. We all view the world and reality in different ways, and with the radical way I view it, I don't expect it to be easy to find people to connect with.

In general, my world view is not so stubborn and solid that I would argue to impose it on someone else. Generally, I feel more an observer, just taking in whatever I can and deciding for myself what to keep and what to discard, but I won't argue a point, feeling that I need to convince a person that the way I see it is right, or insist that the way they see it is flawed. For me, that is common courtesy, albeit a high standard of it, and respect, and I don't assume to know what respect is for anyone else, it's just my own standards.

It's all fine by me. When someone says something to me that I have questions or doubts about, I will only present my questions and doubts, and if they respond with an answer that makes sense to them, even if not to me, I tend to let it go unless more questions come to mind. But all I do is present my questions and doubts, I won't argue how their thinking is wrong or flawed. If my not-so-brilliant questions don't express my point adequately, I let it go. I don't have an over-riding need to explain myself.

Likewise, when I try to explain my point of view or feelings to someone and they shoot it down with me not feeling like they got in my shoes and walked around a bit, I let that go, too. After more than a year of knowing a person, I really let it go. Miscommunication or missed connection between two people is a very . . . palpable thing. If someone doesn't get what I say, or doesn't even try to get what I say, or worse, think they get what I say when they really have no clue, I feel there is really little I can do, but dismiss the entire interaction.

Delphine and I are good to hang out with each other at shows, some quality social interactions, including solo and group situations, but we are not two to have in-depth conversations or try to "get to know" each other. We don't get each other.

No comments: