Thursday, August 07, 2003

I bought my ticket to Supergrass so long ago that for the past week, I've had to remind myself the show was tonight. An apparently up-and-coming band called Palo Alto (I've seen ads for their album in a bunch of magazines), from Los Angeles opened. I'm glad they aren't from Palo Alto, because it's a pretty bad name for a band, but it would've been worse if they were from Palo Alto. Or if any of them had gone to Stanford. I don't know if any of them went to Stanford.

Truth to tell, they were pretty good. There isn't a whole lot I'd fault them for, except for the ridiculous amount of guitar changes they had, with "roadies" coming on-stage for the switch, "rockstar style". Every song or every two songs they switched guitars, and for an up-and-coming band, that rubbed me the wrong way. They were good, but they didn't grab me. There was nothing fresh about them or their sound, in fact their sound sounded pretty generic and derivative these days. But this was the first time I heard them, so I'd give them a second listen, but I wouldn't go buy their CD.

Supergrass rawked!! Sold out show, too. That was a surprise, I can't find anyone else who likes Supergrass. It was a high-energy, crunchin' guitars, Brit-pop romp. Gaz Coombes was super-friendly and cool, I just love that guy's voice. And come on, doesn't he even look cool? OK, that's perhaps not the best shot of him. Hehe, honey, I'm home. I didn't really like the drummer much, though. Maybe the band isn't big on steady tempos. And he just seemed sloppy for most part. They covered a bunch of faves, not nearly all of them no doubt, including new songs "Rush Hour Soul", "Brecon Beacons", and "Grace", and "Moving", "Pumping on Your Stereo", "Mary", "Sun Hits the Sky", and they ended the main set with "Richard III". They didn't do "Cheapskate", which is the first song of theirs I heard, or "Jesus Came from Outta Space".

Well, that's it, no more shows planned for the near future, even though Kinky is coming in September and would love to check them out. My six month hiatus from work is almost up and no more plans until I decide what to do next.

No comments: