Friday, July 09, 2004

I don't know what's up with distances and scales here. I went for a ride up Rte. 9W and it felt like a full on ride, but I barely clocked 15 miles. I think 9W is a "standard ride" around here, the equivalent of the Paradise Loop back home, all cyclists do it at one point or another. I only went up to the second exit and returned along the awesome, wonderful, stupendous, splendiferous Hudson River Drive (will take camera along next time for river side views). I pushed the whole way, partly because the free-flowing car traffic was giving me a rush, partly because my brother used to do this ride when he was in high school, and he would go 35 miles out and 35 miles back. I was trying not to feel like a wuss, even though there's no comparison. He hasn't ridden in years and has switched to running, but if we both got on bikes now and headed up 9W, he would probably kick my ass. On the other hand, I might be able to beat him in urban riding because I think I have more of a "watch it, buddy, I'm riding here" attitude than he does. I don't think he carries a chip on his shoulder when he rides. He has too much to live for. He's a far better runner now than I ever was, too.

More pics:

Driving through Wyoming was pretty neat. The state is really high up, 5000ft-8000ft on Rte. 80, higher than any point on Rte. 80 going through the Rockies (which I did in the dark again, I also did it in the dark when I moved to San Francisco 11 years ago. I'm good at doing it in the dark). I wonder if that fact contributes to the "big sky" feel there is.


Sun rising in Wyoming.


Big sky.

No comments: