Monday, July 12, 2004

Rainy day cooled things down today. Ah, rainy Summer days. Unlike the miserable Winter rainy season in SF. I loved it, but I'm sitting here in the suburbs without a job, not being forced out into it. Poor baby.

My brother found a movie theater showing second run films for $2 and we saw "Kill Bill, Vol.2" tonight. I saw it without having seen Vol.1 because all the reviewers said you can watch Vol.2 without seeing Vol.1 because the story is circular, but none of them had actually done it. They were right. And I liked the movie.

Well, granted that I take Quentin Tarantino films with a grain of salt and I don't watch them with the same standards as other films or I might end up hating them, which I guess isn't necessarily a bad thing. But I ignore most "Tarantinoisms" in his films which might otherwise bug me - basically everything which is pretentious and tacky that he foists on his audience as ironic and tongue-in-cheek or claims is homage. So yea, I let a lot slide to like his style (I don't think I liked "Pulp Fiction", but I don't even remember it. or seeing it.). But I left Vol.2 thinking it was excellent despite its faults. The only hyuge problem I had with it, which I won't let go of and would dock stars from a review because of, is that Uma Thurman gets blown away with a shotgun at the beginning. If not a messy exit wound removing most of her back, she at least should have had a gaping hole in her chest, which somehow healed itself by her getting the shit kicked out of her even more. For the rest of the film, I kept thinking, "But what about that gaping shotgun wound in her chest?". Otherwise I really liked it and will now make a point to eventually check out Vol.1.

No comments: