Thursday, July 22, 2004

It has been sweltering the past few days. Humid and sweaty. I'm still getting used to it, but I ain't complaining. My room is the hottest in this house, but I remind myself of that apartment in Oberlin that was so incredibly hot, something in me had to snap to acclimate, and ever since then I've loved the heat, and nothing got as hot as that apartment. Rain is in the forecast, though, and that should bring things down a notch. I'm still getting used to the weather patterns.

Brain trust that I am, I chose these days to try out running again. I just don't eat that much, but when you're living with your parents - trust me, it's just bad. To counter it, I've been putting more time on the bike trainer, using my brother's old racing bike with the insane (read: really, really hard) gears, but as long as I'm out in suburbia and back in my hot element, I thought I'd see if I could still run. I measured out 3, 4, and 5 mile courses and did the 3 mile today, doing 8 minute miles. If I was an over-achieving prick about it, I'd be moaning about how sucky 8 minute miles are, and that does suck, but that's just peachy-keen for a first official outing (after a very short "feeler" jog two days ago). I knew plenty of poseurs in San Francisco who considered themselves runners, doing 10 minute miles.

I saw the new Zatoichi movie by Beat Takeshi on Monday. It totally ruled, but you have to be familiar with Beat Takeshi's style to appreciate it. Or get it. However, I'm woefully unfamiliar with the classic Zatoichi movies, so I can't give any needed perspective on this version. You just have to know that Beat Takeshi movies are about his style and aesthetic, and he is always the badass in his own films. Sort of like Clint Eastwood in the old Man With No Name and Dirty Harry movies. And dammit, don't analyze the dance sequence at the end, just get into it, it rules. Kitano probably saw this dance troupe, was blown away by it and decided to put them in one of his films. Oh, the next one is going to be a samurai film? Sure, we can do that!

No comments: