Sunday, August 15, 2004

It still perplexes me that I'll go on what seems and feels like a major ride, but doesn't even measure up to near 30 miles. I'm getting the hang of Manhattan riding, but tomorrow there's a show at Maxwell's in Hoboken that I want to go to, so I decided to check out the rideability to Hoboken. Mapquest plotted a route that goes on the Turnpike and was 15 miles, so the more direct bike route would be less than that.

It was definitely a rideable distance at 11.25 miles to Maxwell's, and the route was pretty good except for the bike-unfriendly River Road through Edgewater. I've resolved to not hug the side of the road, but to ride an extra bike width into the road to force cars to slow down and move into the left lane to pass, but to also be accomodating when appropriate.

Hoboken blew me away. When they said it was gentrified, I did not envision the cute little treelined roads and beautiful brownstones. Personally, I don't believe that there has been such a big change in Hoboken, I bet it was always more or less like this, but when the buzz got out about it, there went the rents. But I don't really know. I can't say with any certainty that I'd ever been in Hoboken before.

And Maxwell's, I guess, is the main club for national acts in Hoboken. It didn't look like much from the outside. It looked like a restaurant. I think TFT, Fontaine Toups' (ex-bassist/singer/songwriter from Versus) new band, has played there. And isn't Yo La Tengo from Hoboken? Weird. The show tomorrow night is the "Asians in Indie Rock" show, which I didn't even know was going around. I think this is the second one. It'll be in New York later this week with Ida in the line-up, but I'll be at the monastery.

I stopped off at White Castle on the way home. Anyone know a Harold and/or Kumar who wants to go? I just can't believe that these distances, which aren't all that long, are such an ordeal.

No comments: