Monday, October 04, 2004

Wow, Motorcycle Diaries was so good. It started to seem like an unremarkable roadtrip movie, but it is when the roadtrip ends that the true journey begins. I can see some people not liking how it got from "this kind of film" to "that kind of film", and the thread of the film isn't seamless. But just watching it and not being overly critical, the emotions are incredibly well done and mostly convincing. One dramatic scene went a little too far over the top. Otherwise I don't have a whole lot to say about the film, it was more of an emotional journey, and the intellectual, analytical stuff can be saved for a biopic on Che Guevara's life as a revolutionary. Highly, highly recommended.

As I was walking out, some parents were bringing their excited and noisy kids to see the new animated shark movie with Will Smith. I shook my head and felt sorry for them that they weren't going to see "Motorcycle Diaries". I wanted to go up to the parents and tell them to take the kids to see "Motorcycle Diaries" just to see the looks on their faces. Too bad the joke would be lost on these suburban, soccer mom breeders. They would have thought I was serious and asked, "Oh, is it good?", instead of realizing that, no, this is not a film any sane parent would take their kids to see.

The director did something that I've been thinking about for a while. I always thought it would be an improvement on still photographic snapshots to have a medium that takes several seconds of a snapshot, and to be able to have these in album form. The director puts in these gorgeous black and white, several second portrait snapshots of various subjects in the later part of the film. If they were photographs, they would be amazing, but it's cool because the subjects are posing and you can see subtle bits of movement. I'm gonna start trying to do that with the mpeg feature on my camera. Too bad I didn't think of this when I actually knew people I could take these portraits of. Of course, this doesn't accomplish having them in album form, but it's a start.

No comments: