Sunday, June 19, 2005

Deer Park Monastery, Escondido, CA

Teen Retreat
If I were abbot of this monastery, the first thing I would do is get rid of the "Teen Retreat". You get a bunch of teens up here to expose them to the practice, expose them to the Dharma, and you basically end up with a bunch of teens up here. And a bunch of monks in a tizzy from hormone exposure. You know you’re an adult when teenagers make you cranky.

Roomate update
I’m sharing a room with 3 other people for the week. I have a feeling this came down as a "suggestion" from one of the monks, and it’s fine with me. It’s part of the practice. It’s "fine with me", but let’s see how well I fare. I’m surprised they didn’t do this earlier. I’m glad they didn’t do this earlier, but I’m glad they’re doing this, and I hope they stick someone with me until I leave on July 12. Let’s see how supremely annoyed I can get. I must get in touch with my annoyance, must embrace my annoyance and cradle it and stroke it, and love it and hug it and squeeze it and call it 'George'.

No comments: