Thursday, September 04, 2003

After a full day out on Tuesday, including Japanese food, seeing "Dirty Pretty Things", getting the new "New Type USA" (anime) magazine, free day at SFMoma (but not the Chagall exhibit), NTN trivia at Beale St., and picking up Season 1 of "Sailor Moon" on DVD because I am officially now a hardcore anime junkie, I have hardly left the apartment for two days. Not that I've been wasting the time, and not that it was planned that way. I woke up at 5:30 this morning hoping to hit the road and drive out to Kings Canyon National Park and do some riding amidst the gorgeousness, but for some reason that just didn't happen. Then around 8:00 I thought of driving down to Pinnacles National Monument and hike some paths, but that also ended up not happening. Then in the afternoon I thought of BARTing out to the East Bay and riding a course I thought up a few days ago. Didn't happen.

I'm gonna try to do the Kings Canyon thing tomorrow, again, but I won't be surprised if tomorrow's a verbatim repeat of today.

"Dirty Pretty Things" was a great movie, Audrey Tautou showing that she's not merely an Audrey Hepburn knock-off, but does have a wider, more diverse acting range. Of course I love Audrey Hepburn, but I never considered her acting and probably never will. I love to watch Audrey because it's Audrey. There may have been a little bit of that going on in "Dirty Pretty Things", Audrey Tautou trying to pull of a Turkish refugee in an English-speaking role. I don't really know what a Turkish accent sounds like, and I certainly couldn't tell if it was obvious that she wasn't pulling it off because of her native French. But even if I could, I might have forgiven it because it was Audrey Tautou. You have to admit, though, it's pretty hard when you're French trying to speak English with a Turkish accent. That would be like me trying to speak Japanese with a Chinese accent.

Right, so here I am writing about "Dirty Pretty Things" and only focusing on Audrey Tautou, when the main protagonist of the movie is Chiwetel Ejiofor who was incredible. I can wonder right and left about Audrey Tautou's performance to finally consider it "very good", along with the rest of the ensemble cast, but Ejiofor's performance bears no wondering.

No comments: