Monday, September 22, 2003

Looks like our little heatwave is forecasted to end, and with apartment windows wide open, the chill Bay Area night air feels mighty good. Did I just say that? Well just fuck me because this isn't normal. By the end of the week, the fog will be rolled in and windows will be shut tight for the night, no more Mars, no more Milky Way at the beach. I swear I can hear a foghorn.

I had to bring my bike in today to get my rear wheel trued. It got injured early on yesterday. I'm not sure what happened, but I was riding through the tunnel that goes under Rte. 101 just across the Golden Gate Bridge and something jammed the rear wheel. I thought a water bottle fell out or my shoe jammed the wheel, but in the tunnel, with no bike lane and car traffic, I couldn't look down to see. I think I was skidding and was just trying to keep upright until I was out of the tunnel. I couldn't figure out what happened, but the rim was so out of whack that the only way I could keep riding was to effectively disengage the brake.

I went to Avenue Cyclery on Stanyan. The best cycleries in the city are Noe Valley Cyclery and Avenue Cyclery; best service, no attitude. When I came back for my bike, Frank proudly showed me how perfectly he trued it, and charged me $12 on a $15 quote. I should note that the wheel had been built by Toby at Noe Valley Cyclery, and I like to think that if it was able to be trued so perfectly, it was because Toby did such a great job building the wheel. On the way out, I asked the guy up front if they had a fridge in back for liquid tips. He said he thought Frank didn't drink, but I've had good experiences with the other mechanics, too, so maybe I'll bring a six-pack on Friday near closing time. Oh, that's Critical Mass night. Oh, that's Rosh Hoshanah, the Day of Reckoning, right? Gotta lot o' reckoning to do.

No comments: