Monday, September 08, 2003

God, I love how the blog*spot ads at the top of the page "know" what we're writing about. I was creeped out at first, but like government surveillance and identity theft, you just get used to it.

Riding, riding, riding, all I'm doing these days is riding. And getting hopped up on anime. I did two 25 mile rides on two consecutive days. The first one was supposed to be longer, but I cut it short because . . . I just ran out of fuel. I didn't bonk, I just ran out, and after doing two of the four hills on the course, I abandoned and headed for the nearest BART station. I still want to give the full course another try soon. Yesterday it was all about flat and easy. I took BART to Dublin/Pleasanton and took the Iron Horse Trail all the way up to a barbecue in Concord, where I proceeded to drink the rest of the afternoon away with good food and good people, mostly Beale St. crowd. The Iron Horse Trail, and actually all the recreational trails in the East Bay system, was awesome. Just . . . pleasant. God, those rich people got it good.

To get to the barbecue, I turned right off the Iron Horse Trail and took the Canal Trail, which is named after the canal that it follows. It was so neat, the East Bay has canals, and I was admiring the canal at one point when my wheels got just too close to the edge, and it was one of those moments when you're still alright, but you know you're about to go off the edge and you brace yourself for a crash. It wouldn't have been a bad crash at all, but it's never pleasant to go over on your bike. I've fallen over at a standstill and that still sucked, scraped my knee and misaligned my brakes. Anyway, the moment was long enough for me to decide not to crash and control roll down the embankment and stop at the fence at the edge of the canal. *whew* I clicked out and pulled my bike back up to the path where there was an old man walking down the path and saw the whole thing. I said, "Whew, that was a close one", making conversation. "You mean you didn't mean to do that?". Haha, thanks gramps.

No comments: