Saturday, September 27, 2003

So Noe Valley Cyclery didn't do a perfect job on my brakes. I found that I still had to tweak the adjustment myself, but they did the part I couldn't figure out. It's doing well now. I gave it two pills and it will call me in the morning.

After a week of thick fog barely burning off late in the afternoons, the forecasted warm weekend didn't quite happen. So having had enough of it, I left town and went down the peninsula, where it was at least sunny, for a ride. It's always a trip. I think the sun was just starting to break through in the Mission when I left, but once I got onto 280 south, it was back in the fog and it was like driving on a gloomy overcast day. But then you drive south through Daly City, through Colma, and shortly after you pass Rte. 380, you're back in glorious California sun again.

I tried to do a ride from the 51 Bay Area Rides book, but this is the only one I've tried that turned out to be a wash. The ride starts in Woodside and climbs 1600' on Kings Mountain Road to Skyline Boulevard, and then goes down Tunitas Creek Road to the ocean, but Tunitas is so pitted and poorly maintained that after several jostling miles and 500' descent, I turned around and headed back up. I was going almost as fast going up as I was coming down.

Bummed about not doing the full ride, I went up Skyline which is not so fun because there isn't much shoulder to ride on, but is fun because the Santa Cruz Mts. feel like a playground for bikes and motorcycles on weekends. The trick is to not get hit.

No comments: