Saturday, February 21, 2004

I forget if I mentioned that I got back in touch with Lisa and that whole lesbian crew associated with "the band" back in January. I'm exaggerating, it's not really a crew, just her, Denise, and Jen, but there's inexorably a crew of lesbians attached to them, but since I'm no longer in a band with Lisa, I've pretty much lost my "dyke cred". Anyway, Lisa was playing an acoustic solo set at a place called "Canvas" in the Sunset, somehow finagling Denise into playing bass on some songs, and I decided to go after Dharma talk this morning. (NB: Denise wasn't in the band, she's a hobbyist on bass, but being Lisa's girlfriend, she did a lot of promotion for us.)

I met up with Lisa and Jen in January, but this was the first time seeing Denise since the band broke up a couple years ago (in the interim, Lisa and Denise also went through a harrowing break up and eventual, tenuous reconciliation). At the same time as it was great to see and hang out with them, it was also a bit weird. Not Jen. I don't know what it is with Jen, we just sort of match so well, I think we'd be incredible friends if the circumstances arose for us to really dig into it. We couldn't take advantage of the brief stint that we were housemates in Noe Valley because her chef's schedule had her coming and going at weird hours totally contrary to my uber-normal legal assistant hours. It just wasn't meant to be. We should have met when we were in college or thereafterbouts.

Lisa played a few songs that we had played in the band, and that was . . . curious. It wasn't feelings I was feeling, it's just that it seems so long ago, ancient history. And those songs were from when I was playing bass in the band, which is when I first joined, even longer ago. That makes sense, though, since when I switched to drums and she switched to bass, she wrote on bass.

She writes good songs, I thought her set was pretty good. I was just pressed to consider that chunk of history as having happened at all. We were bandmates, were we really friends? We were friends, did being in band get in the way of that? Feelings raising questions that don't need answers. All that doesn't matter. She's returned to Denise even though their relationship screams of cycle of violence in which she's the victim, so it's all good if she comes calling after two years. She makes the effort, I'll at least meet her halfway.

No comments: