Tuesday, February 10, 2004

It's hard to imagine that while we in San Francisco are being washed onto the shores of February and finding Spring-like weather, most of the rest of the country is still under a freeze of Winter. We, on the other hand, are out of the worst of it. The sun, which never carves a low an arc in the southern sky as it does, say, in New Jersey, is rising higher in the sky, and although we expect more rainy days through April, even May, we don't expect any more week-long storm-outs.

I took my road bike out for the first time this season on Sunday for an easy 20 mile jaunt, and it felt so good! No comparison, road bikes rule over mountain bikes. They're so much lighter and more powerful (faster), and of course they're designed for different purposes, so there's really no point in comparing them, I just like road bikes better.

Yesterday, I brought in the road bike in for a long-needed maintenance, and I left it there until tomorrow because the guy said I needed a new chain, which I figured, and a new rear cluster, which I'm just a little suspicious about, that he had to order. But considering how long it's been since it's had a tune-up, and considering how I've been riding it, and considering I don't know the ins and outs of week to week maintenance, I'll give him benefit of the doubt that the rear cluster is worn. As long as the road bike is in the shop, I think I'll take the mountain bike up to the Headlands and have my second go at trail riding.

I skipped going to SFZC with no reason this morning for the first time since the start of the practice period. The only other time I skipped was because it was raining. I'm a little burned out going into the third week, but that's really not an excuse. I knew I'd regret skipping, but I also wanted to experience that regret as motivation not to skip again. And I did regret it, I totally could've-should've gone, and I don't think it'll happen again. The key is still to be out of bed within a minute of the 4:55 alarm, and then dressed, prepped, and out the door within 10 minutes.

And I still want to see The Fog of War. After watching The Killing Fields this weekend, it seems fitting to see it this week. Ya, that's what I watch for fun.

No comments: