Monday, March 29, 2004

I actually didn't mind waking up with Bob Marley going through my head. Truth to tell, it was much better than the ELO that has come to occupy precious aural space through my days. Still, after Critical Mass on Friday, I stopped off at Amoeba and they had the Light Years import compilation, but I couldn't justify purchasing a CD at this point. Then today I realized I could sell CDs to pay for it, and that worked out just fine (and scored the Last Exit, vol. 1 DVD used as well).

Man, I can't believe I'm sitting here listening to a double CD ELO compilation. Good grief.

At their best, they put out music that anyone would have to say represents some of the finest of that decade. But the stuff that wasn't so great, really wasn't so great. I never get tired of their hits, but their non-hits barely get my attention. And after seeing those lip-synch/backing tape portions of the live DVD, and looking up their history on the internet, well, they've had their share of pathetic, embarassing moments. And I must rant about folks who think Bev Bevan was a drummer with chops. I mean, don't get me wrong, I've always liked Bev Bevan, but more for those big, thunderous fills, and that inimitable snare sound (which Greg Bissonette imitated really well in the most recent line-up of ELO - I was thorougly shocked when I found it wasn't Bev Bevan), not because of his chops. In fact, from the live DVD, he looked like the archetype of 80's metal hair drummers, bleah!

No comments: