Thursday, June 26, 2003

All I ever do is bitch about San Francisco weather.

After four rainy days on the East Coast, the sun came out on the fifth day, just in time to hang out with Meghan, drink beer, and soak in the Virginia is for lovers sun. On the sixth day, back in New Jersey, Summer arrove with humid 90 degree temps, a perfect day to go to New York, check out the Einstein exhibit at the American Museum of Natural History, and while away the rest of the evening with Rob and Keiko. Who doesn't love a warm evening to just walk around with good company? The next day was the same, but I was robbed as that was the day I left for San Francisco. The weather report stated pleasant day time highs in SF, but I was arriving at night so I braced myself for the chill that never came. I hopped on the BART at SFO, service to the airport just having started this past Sunday, and I emerged at 16th and Mission and all indications were that it was a mighty fine day in San Francisco. It was a mile walk from the BART station to my apartment.

Today was a nicely hot day, temps in the 80's. I went for a 45 mile ride in Marin, climbing the road to Mt. Tamalpais but not summiting, instead riding all the way out to the coast and back through Muir Woods. I must admit that the heat and my lack of riding these past few weeks made it a suffer and a struggle. When I got back to Sausalito, I scarfed down some fish and chips, and hopped on the ferry back to town. A near perfect day, aside from the suffer and struggling.

S*die decided last minute to come to the Buffalo Daughter/Blonde Redhead show with me and H*n. Both bands were excellent. I think I missed out on raves and electronica and X. But no, I remember that scene from the outside and there's no way I could have fit into it. I just fancy the music and letting go until the break of dawn. I was never that cool. Buffalo Daughter was pretty much electronica with live instruments, effects, samples, and a turntablist. The drummer was fun to watch, bopping his head in eighth notes, laying down simple, solid electronica grooves.

Blonde Redhead put on great performances. I love bands that move on stage. Music to me is just as physical as it is aural, and if a performer isn't showing me physically that they are into their own music, it's a bit of a downer. I'm not into the guy singer's voice, but Kazu Makino really delivered, and the drummer was all I expected and more - a great drummer.

It continued to be warm into the evening and it was nice being out with S*die and H*n. It's nice to go out on a warm evening and walk around with good company. Coming back to San Francisco with this weather is deceptive. It makes me feel that the rest of the Summer will be like this. It won't. In a few days, I'm sure the fog will be rolling in and who wants to go out and walk around wearing jackets and scarves in June, scurrying to the next indoor destination?