Wednesday, June 04, 2003

Crap, I just got reminded that I have to submit a live review of the Versus, +/-, Jason Loewenstein show in April for Bay Area Buzz by tomorrow. Jason Loewenstein a member of Sebadoh, about whom I know nothing, and any review of Jason Loewenstein without mentioning or comparing his solo material with Sebadoh would be seriously remiss. Remiss this review is going to have to be. I don't know anyone who was into Sebadoh.

I abandoned riding up to Marin today because the fog didn't look like it was burning off coastside. It barely burned off in the Mission and it came right back in. Bleah. For the past two days I've been trying to complete lyrics for a two and a half minute ditty, for which I've recorded the basic tracks. It has taken on the feel of writing a paper! I hated writing papers. I have sources spread out, along with notebooks filled with chicken scratching, and I'm letting music DVDs run on the telly in the background, partly as distraction, partly to not get absorbed in trying too hard. But it's all the same diversionary, procrastinatory tactics I used to use when writing papers. But, I tell myself, I have to do this. It's short, two verses and a chorus, maybe a tag chorus section. I can't spend too much time on this and I need to start working on other ideas. I conditioned allowing myself to complete this material with the assumption that I never play this stuff for anyone. So it's only about satisfying myself, I'm not trying to say or communicate anything, it can be cryptic as hell. That makes it both easier and harder for different reasons.

And I will do that Bay Area Buzz review.

No comments: