Sunday, December 21, 2003

A couple months ago, I was thinking how The Beatles' "The End" may be my fave lyric of all time:

And in the end
The love you take
Is equal to the love
You make


Just the simplicity of this final lyric of their career, I just wish they had credited it to all of them.

But, geez, without even standing a test of time, I think this comes pretty close:

In my dreams, I see myself hitting a baseball
In a green field somewhere near a freeway
I'm all tan and smiling and running from third base
- "My Slumbering Heart" - Lewis/Sennett (Rilo Kiley)


It just evokes such a beautiful childhood scene of the unadulterated freedom and joy. I fill the image in with the surrounding urban LA area landscape, the Summer sun in the hazy western sky, and the crowd of kids cheering for her as she runs home. Not one to be overly sentimental, she contrasts it with other lines in the song, like "It's become just like a chemical stress, tracing the lines in my face for something more beautiful than is there."

No comments: