Monday, June 07, 2004

I went and saw The Saddest Music in the World today and really liked it, but it definitely qualifies for "unusual". Interesting. Experimental. Maybe quirky. Definitely odd. Unique. But strangely endearing. I don't know enough about film and film history to comment on the look of the film (black and white, grainy, odd lenses?), but whatever they were going for, I think it worked. I got drawn into it. The visuals were fantastic. And all the ideas, each and every one of them, scores a 10 in the successfully absurd department. Appropriately to the title, the soundtrack included, but failed to credit, the second movement of Beethoven's 7th Symphony. Although that piece may be better described as "dark", rather than "sad". I wasn't paying attention to the movie during that section because I was listening.

Oh, and I saw The Corporation last Friday. If this movie comes to your city, go see it! It is a must-see if you're waiting for the next Michael Moore film to be released. He's actually in it as an interviewee, just a regular guy, no outlandish antics, although there is one scene of him going Christmas caroling at a tobacco company's corporate office.

Moore actually mentions something that was on my mind through much of the film, which was how most people would watch the film, be outraged, and then go away and do nothing, go to McDonald's, go to their corporate job. For some reason, I'm really glad he pointed that out. It was like a self-conscious acknowledgement of reality and that they weren't being idealistic and naive by attacking the corporate form. I think I will try to see it again before it ends its run at the Castro.

No comments: