Saturday, June 12, 2004

I went out to a show last night. It was one of my exceptions. Kristin Hersh in 50 Foot Wave in March was also an exception. Prior to that, the last show I went to was Supergrass last August. Last night was Shannon Wright. I love Shannon Wright, and now I love Shannon Wright even more. I missed her when she opened up for Sleater-Kinney because they billed her wrong and she went on first and I got there too late. It was a crappy Sleater-Kinney gig, too, the Fillmore got their sound totally wrong.

But she was great last night at Bottom of the Hill. I was a little worried about being disappointed since she seemed to be the kind of artist that doesn't care about their career or how they come across, and touring is a big drag for them. And some friends who did catch her at the S-K show said they weren't impressed by her. But the way she attacked her guitar finger-picking and writhed about on stage matched the emotion of her songs and voice. She has a voice that can tear my heart out, while singing like I'm tearing out hers.

I got a $1 poster with a terrible picture of her on it (intentional, no doubt). I put it up over my bed so when I wake up feeling like crap to be alive, I can look at it and think that other people feel even worse.




No comments: