Friday, June 04, 2004

Wow, it's true then. There is a new Sondheim musical out, only it hasn't gone to Broadway yet. And the reviews are mixed. When I read the mixed reviews, I wasn't gonna get too excited about it, until I read the above linked review. He's right. Merrily We Roll Along lasted not even two weeks on Broadway, and for Sondheim fans, if that isn't their favorite score, they at least have to consider it before choosing something else. And he calls this one "prime Sondheim", which can only mean one thing. Once, a long time ago, I got recruited to play in the pit for a summer stock production of Follies, and I asked the trombone player if the score was hard. He just said, "It's Sondheim". I think he was trying to tell me that it was hard, but worth it. There would be parts I'd have to fake it, but it'd be fun. And being one of the few non-professionals in that pit, fake it I did! Might have to break down and buy a CD.

No comments: