Tuesday, February 25, 2003

I went on my first ride of the season today, a casual jaunt across the Golden Gate Bridge and up the Marin Headlands, about 28 miles total. I'm gonna be working on hills over the next week. That's what I like best.

I remembered yesterday that the Locus Arts open mic was tonight. Being unemployed and socially unmotivated, I need to take any little excuse to get out of the apartment, so I considered it. Also because I dusted off an old song last week and was surprised, not only that I remembered most of it, but that it didn't annoy the hell out of me. So lassoing in Han and Sadie into going, I went, and actually ended up playing a nine year old song. Pathetic. But I also did it to try to get me in the mood of coming up with new material. It helps to get the feeling of going up in front of people and doing a completed song. Since the last time I satisfactorily completed a song was . . . nine years ago.

I also ran into Vikki's little sister, Sam, who was volunteering there. That was a special little delight. All the Chanse sisters are something else. Special, I think. If someone made a movie about them, they would be pretty fascinating character studies. There are four of them. I actually don't think I've ever talked with Sam, the youngest, and I can't even remember when I've met her. I remember Vikki mentioning her moving out here. I actually may have met her when she was in high school and Vikki and I were just out of college, but that was way long ago. I know I've met Ursula since she's closest to Vikki, and I'm pretty sure I've met either Katherine or Sam, if not both.

No comments: