Saturday, February 22, 2003

Rainer Maria/Mates of State:
I went for Rainer Maria, and they were OK. I certainly didn't hafta go. I'm not sure what the deal is with Rainer Maria, I like them, but I don't know why. Their latest record that they're supporting is their best to date (no male vocal), their previous record was quite good (male vocal notwithstanding), but I'm not sure what to think of their first two albums, or what possessed who to give them a record deal. Those were inconsistent at best. I was a little perplexed at how many people (everyone I heard tonight who mentioned their name, including the opening band) still mispronounce their name. But if the band themselves didn't bother clarifying, maybe they've gone and accepted the mispronunciation of the poet they're named after. Maybe they've just gotten tired of clarifying it. (pronounced "Rhyner", as in Catcher in the Rye, not "rainer", as in 'yep, last December was a real rainer. Did the crops good. Just a few more inches and we'll be good for the season. How's yer loquats, Hal?')

Mates of State were a surprise. I know all of two songs of theirs, and I like those, but something about the duet thing (with no bass, no guitars), something about the production just didn't pull me in to buying their record(s). Live, they were great! My left leg was killing from starting running and riding the past few days, so I was fully intending to stay for two songs and leaving if they didn't pull me in. Seriously, the production on their record does not do her/their voice(s) justice. I ended up staying for most of their set.

I need to stop spending money, so I told myself no more buying band t-shirts. But Rainer Maria's shirt had a variety of knives drawn on it (the latest record is "Long Knives Drawn"). I couldn't resist.

No comments: