Thursday, February 13, 2003

Unemployment Eve:
The firm is giving us a half day tomorrow on behalf of Valentine's Day and Presidents Day, effectively ruining after work drink plans to celebrate my departure. So we did the next logical thing and moved it to tonight. Cass, Amy, Lisa, Barb and Kelly, and ex-coworkers, Chandler, Donna, and Greg, and Beale St. regulars Terry and Mike showed at the Holding Company. They refused to take my money at the end of the night (thanks guys!). Kateri couldn't make it tonight, so her last day next week is our excuse to go for drinks again tomorrow, at Beale St., at 1 o'clock in the afternoon!

I never thought of my employment much. It never meant anything to me, the work was personally meaningless, but as I cleared out my cube, as our team had our transition meeting today, it occured to me that I'm walking away from something I was a part of. I could have continued floating through it, it could have been a career, and since my leaving was triggered by completely objective circumstances, there is very little emotional attached to my leaving. There's no real triumph, no intent, no goal, I'm just . . . walking away from it.

It is important to feel a part of something.

Oh, and Happy Birthday to Peter Gabriel.

No comments: