Sunday, March 23, 2003

(I just spent the weekend with the DVD of "Bridget Jones's Diary", including "making of" featurette and commentary track, so the following posting should be read in an appropriate British accent, even though it has nothing to do with the tone of the movie.)

I hate mornings. It's the most mentally oppressive and depressing time of day, really.

I woke up at six because I was planning to do a 12k run, but it was raining. It didn't occur to me that it would stop raining by the 8 o'clock start time. It didn't occur to me that I could have driven to the registration area. At 6:48, there was still no way I was going to ride to Aquatic Park in that rain. By 7:10, the rain stopped. By 8:00, it was runnable. Nice, in fact. The registration cut-off was 7:30.

So I'm awake at this ungodly time of morning, several hours away from ex-housemate Rosalie calling about doing lunch in North Beach, and maybe Sadie later for music. But I think I want to ride today, so I might cancel on Sadie. I'm antsy for physical activity.

The last physical activity I did was run for 60 minutes last Tuesday in preparation for this 12k. I figured if I could sustain 60 minutes, I was pretty sure I could complete a 12k. At 45 minutes, I felt the possibility of blowing my knees out again, so 12k is pretty much the farthest I'd risk going. 10k would be perfect.

The Bay to Breakers is 12k, and I want to do at least one more before I leave San Francisco. So maybe it's better that I missed this one and just do 10k's until the Bay to Breakers. The last one I did was in 1999. The Bay to Breakers has been dubbed the "world's largest moving block party".

No comments: