Wednesday, March 12, 2003

Yesterday I ran for 40 minutes, distance and pace didn't matter, just to make sure my knees could endure that amount of pounding in regard to time. I stopped running after ruining my knees doing the San Francisco Marathon in 1999, the old, hard course. I started running again this past October after realizing my knees responded so well to Joint Juice glucosamine drink. I stopped shortly after for the Winter, and started up again in February. So far, so good. I still feel heavy, but I'm just amazed and thrilled to be running again.

Last year I took up riding, and today I went for my first serious ride. On Sunday, I headed up to Marin towards Tiburon, not intending to go long. I was 20 miles out wondering if I should turn around, already not looking forward to the 20 mile return trip. I was planning to go no more than 30 miles, and wasn't prepared for 40. I also wasn't quite sure where I or anything was. Fortunately, I remembered the Tiburon ferry, and after a few inquiries, I was lazily floating my way back to San Francisco.

Today I headed out to Tiburon again in earnest, intending to go long. I ended up covering 45 miles total, averaging 15.1 miles per hour (a good pace, but I was hurting at the very end). All through this, I'm fine. My knees are fine, my back is fine, my metabolism is fine. My good health confounds me.

No comments: