Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Who would have guessed how hard it would be to get out of the apartment after quitting my job? It's gotten bad, and it has to stop, need discipline. I am starting to keep track of everything I do in the day and time-stamping it to guilt me into not being lazy and slovenly. I will still waste time, I just want to be able to review how I'm wasting my time. Mindful time wasting.

I only got out once today in the evening to go for a run, and I haven't run in a week since I bailed on the 12k on Sunday. It was slow going. I haven't gone for a ride in two weeks. I tried this past Sunday. I rode up to Twin Peaks going up the steep north side, struggled with it, got to the top, rode the figure eight a couple times then promptly went home, not even completing 10 miles.

I was supposed to do errands today, it just didn't happen. But I had a productive day researching Tucson so that I have a plan when I go there. I have a pretty good idea about the layout of the town and where I should look first, where I might want to live if I were to move there (big if), sites to check out like Colossal Cave, the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, and Mt. Lemmon, where Lance Armstrong used to train in the winter. But the question now isn't whether I should take my bike or not, it's when I'm gonna get my arse in my carse and undertake the fourteen hour drive, and whether I should stop overnight at my ex-housemate who lives in Irvine. I should, what are friends or people we know for? I need to be back in San Francisco by April 6 for the Black Heart Procession show with Delphine. Free ticket and photo pass, and I want to see them. Members of the Black Heart Procession used to be in a band I like called "Three Mile Pilot" with the bass player of Pinback. So I can leave this Thursday and be restricted to being back by April 6, OR I can wait until after April 6 when we will have begun saving our daylight, and I'd have more flexibility to also swing by the Grand Canyon and Zion National Park in Utah.

The big pro towards going sooner rather than later is the discipline aspect. Just go and stop making excuses to put it off! Is putting it off until after the show just an excuse to put it off? I am getting too old for these solo mega road-trips.

No comments: