Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Deer Park Monastery, Escondido, CA

I’m doing a little better with the negativity. A bunch of little lessons popped up throughout the day indirectly addressing it, trying to teach me. I wrestle with it, occasionally get it under control. I realize it has nothing to do with last week’s negativity, burning out and feeling exhausted. No, this week’s negativity has a direct cause. In fact, it has two legs. And unfortunately a mouth. But that’s all I’ll say. I know it’s petty and impermanent, which makes it even harder having it as an issue. Have I sunk so low? Have I never risen as high as I thought I had? I jest.

I went for another run today, but I should cut back since I’m not as young or as strong as I once was. I found a flat meadow with a 3.5 mile loop which I did in 25’50”, averaging 7’20” miles. I’m satisfied with that, and can now go back to taking it easy doing hard, hilly courses.

I want to try working three daily questions into this blog, but I don’t know if it’ll fly. My mentor offered them during a Dharma talk he was giving (he was also the inspiration for the Happinesses of the Day), and I think he got them from a Pali text (Theravadin):

1. What have I received (from others) today?
2. What have I offered (to others) today?
3. What difficulties have I caused others today?

I have to think about them more to see if I can even come up with answers. As for #3, I know I have caused difficulties to others, but I couldn’t mention them so as to protect the innocent. Or guilty, rather.

No comments: