Thursday, July 17, 2003

Catching the Tour de France (10 stages into it) last night with Amy got me a little fired up about it. Today was a rest day for the Tour, but I went to Kezar Pub because they were airing a recap of the first ten stages. Tonight I've been going through the live reports on cyclingnews.com for the details (Kezar is airing the Tour, but it's a bar, so no sound). Basically I'm reading through the images that I saw at the bar. Joseba Beloki's crash, the one that Lance avoided by riding off the road down a steep dirt embankment, hopping off his bike to climb back onto the road and remounting, appears to have done Beloki in. It looks like it was a bad crash and I think he's out of the Tour. Too bad, I really liked Beloki. He's been living in Lance's shadow during the TdF, cursing him because if it wasn't for him, he'd be winning the Tour. Maybe multiple Tours. Damn good rider, deserving of name recognition.

And as last year, the Tour has inspired me to get on my bike. I've been weak this year, my strength and maybe my general health seems to be in a decline. So I'm easing into it. Yesterday I went out for less than 10 miles, but climbing O'Shaugnessy, which really isn't that hard, and then up to Twin Peaks. Today I felt like crap all day so I didn't get out until I was heading to Kezar Pub, but I went more than 10 miles at least and tackled the Fillmore Street hill, always a benchmark of potential. Tomorrow I think I'm meeting Delphine at night, so I'll go to Kezar during the day, but I also want to put in even more saddle time, maybe cross the Golden Gate and climb the Headlands.

No comments: