Thursday, July 10, 2003

Last night I decided at the last minute to go see Rilo Kiley at Great American Music Hall. While I was there I realized I had failed to inform Joycee of this show, thereby letting her down. I also let down Cass, who during the afternoon expressed the possibility of bringing her kids to the show! But I <Austin Powers accent>really, really, really </Austin Powers accent>didn't know whether I'd go until the last minute.

It was really crowded. I remember seeing them opening up for Superchunk, who had a smaller crowd, filling Cafe DuNord, filling Bottom of the Hill, selling out Bottom of the Hill, and now respectably filling Great American Music Hall!! I'm glad they are getting big. I have no problem seeing them three feet from the stage in the past, and now being able to get no where near them. I do think they need to do something to bump up their stage show to the next level. Their stage presence is still appropriate for smaller venues, but they need to do something more now. Their material is strong enough, but their stage presence needs more to translate to bigger audiences.

I spent today with Pasha, who gave his presentation at his conference in Monterey on Sunday, and was back in Fremont yesterday. Again, spending time with him was spectacular and made me wonder how things may have been different if we hadn't missed these past ten years. Getting back together with him, it was like not a day had passed. But we don't know what it would be like if we got together with ten years having passed.

We saw 'The Incredible Hulk' at the Metreon, both of us being Ang Lee fans, and it was incredible, far beyond either of our expectations. Not perfect, but Ang Lee shows that he can very capably handle comic book, action story material. In clips I had seen, the CGI looked so fake, but in context of watching the movie, it was more than easy to not even think of it. The action is more kinetic than I've seen in a long time, certainly much more than in 'Matrix: Reloaded', in which the action was generally as lifeless as a spirograph.

This evening, Amy and I got together for drinks at Movida to . . . well, I thought it was just to finalize meeting up in Portland this weekend for her apartment search, but we ended up not leaving until well past 11:00. She's flying there on Friday with Lisa. I'm making a roadtrip out of it, leaving tomorrow, and I'm not prepared at all! I was hoping to leave early tomorrow to head up to Crater Lake to spend the night, but at this rate I'm going to get there pretty late, thereby delaying leaving for Portland on Friday. But I have everyone's contact info, the hotel, Lisa's cell, and Nina's, so hopefully every little thing is gonna be all right.

I can't make an intelligent decision to move to Tucson until at least having been to Portland.

No comments: