Sunday, July 06, 2003

My unemployment is getting no sympathy when a day like last Thursday comes along and people at Beale St. are praising the lord for the three day weekend and I go, "what three day weekend?". Boy, did I pay for beer that night.

Strangely enough, it was a busier weekend than usual, and not at all because everyone else had three days off. On Friday, Pasha flew in and the day was spent with him and his cousin and his cousin's wife, and driving Pasha down to Monterey. Then on Saturday, before I was able to get my bearings, Delphine got me to commit to go with her down to San Jose to her imaginary best friend, Julie's housewarming. It turns out Julie is not imaginary, and is actually a real person, so I need to stop referring to Julie as Delphine's imaginary best friend. And that night was birthday dinner for Delphine's friend Lan at Old Krakow House (or "Old Crackhouse", for short) in West Portal, and ended up at "New Wave City" - '80s music at DNA Lounge. As Friday was "Pasha day," Saturday was "Delphine day."

I reiterate that I was a child of the '80s but I hated the music. I can sing along to most of it if the lyrics are in front of me, but it would be a mistake to associate me in any way with the '80s. At best, the 80's are a study, and the extent to which I get carried away in the nostalgia is purely coincidential. Peter Gabriel's "So" record, albeit quite excellent, is still probably my least favorite of his oeuvre.

Today was a groggy, foggy day, when plans were made early (pre-coffee, before the cylinders in my brain were firing) to meet Amy in the Fillmore for the Fillmore Street Fair and to catch a movie. By late in the afternoon, it was just time for us to go home because of the cold. Don't get me wrong, time spent with Amy is time well spent, but planned better, miserable cold and foggy days like today should have been spent driving out of town and hiking in warmer, sunnier climes.

No comments: