Tuesday, July 22, 2003

I wasn't planning on going to Kezar Pub tonight, but when S*die and Bob called, their plans having fallen through, we ended up going to Kezar Pub for the Tour de France. If I had to do something with them, I wanted something with a distraction to minimize my annoyance. It worked to some extent, but it didn't completely stop them from being annoying. They're kind of Dada-ists, but instead of an artistic irreverent "shocking for the sake of shocking", they are more of "antagonizing me just for the sake of antagonizing me". And they have a chemical misanthropy that they feed off each other to make the experience even more unpleasant.

You know you're having a pointless conversation when they ask questions, and you can think of two or more answers and it's basically a coin toss which answer you choose. It doesn't matter.

Mind you, I was probably just as annoying and antagonistic to them. Hopefully we've reached a meeting of minds. I just hope our meeting of minds includes that we do not like hanging out with people who are annoying and antagonistic.

It's a question in my mind whether I'm a crap friend because I drop them once they become annoying. Or find that they are annoying. And Bob has always been annoying, I just tolerated him because of S*die, but now they have that chemical tag-team thing going, they're basically one unit. But who continues to hang out with annoying people just because you once considered them friends?

I guess I never understood that "friends through thick and thin" thing, that BFF thing. So yea, I am a sucky friend, but not because of this case. In the past, it would be substantive relationships with substantive grievances that I would drop when I couldn't take it anymore. That's wrong. If the word "substantive" is somewhere in the equation, you work on it. In this case, it's not a substantive relationship (ie, it's too irreverent, ie, no respect), and they're not substantive grievances when it's annoying just for the sake of annoying.

They bring out my potential for being obnoxious. And I don't like being obnoxious. And they certainly show that petty obnoxiousness is not below them, either. Damn, I'm bad. And I can just go on and on!