Wednesday, May 28, 2003

Built to Spill, sold out @ Great American Music Hall last night were great, with the possible exception of Doug Martsch being sick, probably with SARS, and coming close to losing his voice, occasionally coughing lyrics. This was the second time I've seen Built to Spill, they are much more enjoyable with knowledge of their repertoire. I wonder if it's customary for their audience to yell out song names that get virtually ignored by the band: "Car"! "Carry the Zero"! "Hurt a Fly"! "Freebird"! The last time I saw them, someone yelled out "Freebird" and they went into a verbatim rendition of the classic Lynrd Skynrd song. Stunning! "Daniel"! several people yelled in unison last night, and the band went into a reggaed-up version of the Elton John classic, Doug mangling the falsetto parts with his SARS problem and everything. I was tempted to yell out Modest Mouse song titles. "We're not Modest Mouse". They ended with a 17 minute rendition of Neil Young's "Cortez the Killer". He really sounds much more like Neil Young than Isaac Brock, but when "The Plan" rang out of my speakers the first time I heard them, I thought he did sound like Modest Mouse.

No comments: