Thursday, May 01, 2003

Three rehearsals and a gig
OK, the actual gigging is fun, the being on stage and playing and rocking out. It's much more fun gigging on bass than on drums, although I like both. Playing drums has a lot more responsibility to hold things down, and I hate responsibility. Bassist can float a groove on top of the drums and mistakes aren't as wince-worthy. Three rehearsals and a gig with S*die and H*n's band. I'd do it again if they asked me to. I think it would be cool if they had a revolving bass chair with whoever they know filling in. Hey, if I can get through a gig after three rehearsals, anyone can. I found out from ex-coworker Amy at Beale St. last night that the lead singer of one of the other bands is another ex-coworker. So Amy, Katie, and Ada, all ex-coworkers, showed up for that band. What I missed least about gigging was the schlepping, which I didn't have to do. H*n and S*die took care of it and I just had to show up with my bass.

I finally registered for Bay to Breakers since I think everyone else already has. S*die, Bob, H*n, Ik*ko, Amy, Katie, and Ada are all doing it. Should be interesting since I haven't had any reason to wear running shorts and t-shirt in public in four years. I've gotten used to people being surprised that I get all geeky about running (related ailments, training, form, philosophy). The vast majority of people I currently know met me after I stopped four years ago. But now that my knees are better and I'm running again, I don't really want it to be part of my identity anymore. It's in my past, and I'll do it now because I enjoy it, but no more geeking out about it. No more pushing and the perpetual quest for a personal best. Although I did splurge and buy a new pair of running shoes today, a total luxury purchase, because the $50 pair of Brooks sneakers I bought in October have already gone flat. I also picked up a ticket for Throwing Muses next Friday. Thinking of picking up a ticket for Throwing Muses next Saturday.