Tuesday, May 27, 2003

Most people I know, if they were to think about it, would probably cite my fave band as Versus, possibly Modest Mouse. Throwing Muses is also a pretty safe guess, easily making my top five fave bands of all time. I, myself, would put Peter Gabriel/Genesis in the #1 slot of favorite bands of all time. What I wouldn't have even guessed is . . . Led Zeppelin.

But I was at Amoeba, and in the new releases section was an empty rack with a post-it with "Led Zeppelin" scrawled on it. I non-chalantly strolled over to the Led Zeppelin section, and yes, there was a new 3 CD set of never-before-released live recordings, and on the sticker it said, "Also in DVD". So I non-chalantly strolled over to the DVD section, and yes, there was a new Led Zeppelin DVD of those performances! I bought it using my precious credit slip which had $29 on it. It didn't even occur to me that I could've gotten it cheaper at Best Buy and used the precious credit slip for used CDs as planned. When I got home and realized this, I asked myself, "what just happened?"

It's true. I was a raging Led Zeppelin fan when I was too young to really appreciate why they were one of the greatest rock and roll bands of the '70's. I listen to them now and they amaze me, and I think that there was no way I could've really appreciated this when I was 11 years old! So when it sunk in that this was footage of live Led Zeppelin that I had never seen and never even imagined seeing when I was a kid, my mind just clicked into "buy this" mode without even thinking of more practical, financially prudent, options.

No comments: