Thursday, May 15, 2003

No spoilers here:
I saw an advanced screening of the new Matrix movie last night in Oakland. I don't know why I went, I was just being a sheep because a lot of people were going. What was I thinking? It was pretty standard action fare - slick, stylized (predictable) fight scenes, car chases, motorcycle chases, neat special effects, Keanu flying like Superman. One nice joke poking fun at Keanu's legendary stupidity. One completely unnecessary underground rave sequence which went on too long and didn't serve the plot at all. By "went on too long" I mean it shouldn't have been there at all, and talk of serving the "plot" misleadingly suggests that there was one. A few scenes of people talking on and on, perhaps trying to inject some of the intellectualism of the first film into this one, and failing to do so, or more likely an attempt to explain what is going on to a befuddled audience, also failing to do so. Finally, the ending: TACKY!!

On a positive note, I didn't sit through the film thinking about how bad it was, the action carries itself fine. And you can't notice plot holes when you can't even notice a plot. I wasn't insulted or disgusted, just unmoved and unsympathetic towards anyone. When I see a well done martial arts fight scene, my arm and leg muscles tend to involuntarily tense up (block! strike! twist! jump! duck!). Last night I noticed them not tensing up. I had to ask afterwards how many times can a guy get punched in the face without their sunglasses flying off, but Han suggested that they were virtual sunglasses since they were in the Matrix.

No comments: