Sunday, May 11, 2003

I guess I forgot how much a ride can take out of me. The Tucson walkabout got my riding up to par, but I haven't ridden since then (almost a month ago!) since I've been running more in "training" for the Bay to Breakers. Today I went for a "casual" ride, a moderate 28-miler with moderate climbs, down Highway 1 starting in a coastal town called San Gregorio. I've fallen out of form and completed the route more than 10 minutes slower than when I did it last year when I was in shape. No surprise, no disappointment. I didn't take enough rests and I was struggling at the end as a result. Bleah. I got there via Half Moon Bay, and I swear I still have no idea where the Half Moon Bay Ritz-Carlton is.

So the ride took a lot out of me and I got home too late to meet up with Han and Ikuko and friends to catch the new X-Men movie. And it took enough out of me that I bailed on meeting up with a bunch of old Oberlin folk, my first "community" upon moving out here, this evening. But that was out in the East Bay, so I feel justified. East Bay, man, whatever.

I did make it to the second night of Throwing Muses, and it was even better than last night; it was more relaxed, more confident, more rockin'. Kristin Hersh talked more, indicating a higher level of relaxedness. The folk I met last night were also there in the same place they were last night, right at the foot of the stage. Freaks! If I were the band, I'd be gettin' scared about them. Well, I'm just about done with seeing live shows until the Built to Spill show on the 27th. Sold out! Woohoo!

No comments: