Sunday, May 25, 2003

I haven't seen anyone for a week, since Han and Ikuko at the Bay to Breakers Footstock last Sunday. Going for a new record. I also haven't shaved in a week. Or run. Or ridden. Don't ask about clothes changes. When someone sees me next, I want them to think, "Geez, he's really let go". I think I'll eat a pizza tonight. I just need some flies flying around my head. And a wife-beater. Ooh, I have one!

Two days of overcast weather, tomorrow I may need to resort to heading to the East Bay for a fix of sun. Should probably take my bike with me. I made two feel-good purchases today that were so worth it. I got the Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense" and Stevie Ray Vaughn "Austin City Limits" DVDs. I maintain that "Stop Making Sense" is among the top ten rock movies ever made. Top five. I got home, stuck it on just to run the "Psycho Killer" sequence, and ended up watching the entire thing, including credits, with the commentary track on. It's just brilliant, every song has a different visual feel, the material is amazing, and the energy and the performances are incredible. I think Stevie Ray Vaughn is one of those artists whose source of inspiration is so outside of them that eventually "god calls them home". It's like he's not playing the guitar, but channeling it from some divine source. Eric Clapton, who I think reeks, can't touch Stevie. Clapton once commented that Stevie never stops to think about what he's going to do next, the blues just flows through him.

No comments: