Wednesday, April 23, 2003

I didn't get out of the apartment until after 2:00. Rain wasn't forecast, so I did some minor maintenance on my Peugeot and headed out to the bike shop for some new brake pads which I found I don't need, new tubes, and a cable to lock my rack to my car on trips like the recently one. Next I rode down to the Embarcadero to measure out a flat 5 mile running course. I want to train for the Bay to Breakers and run it seriously since it's probably the last one I'll do. When I used to run, I think my average per mile hovered around 7:30 miles, so I decided to make that my starting goal, measuring out a 5 mile flat course and keep doing it until I could beat 37:30. Once I beat that, I would start working on hills and end sprints for strength.

After measuring that out, I went home and then to the liquor store to re-stock my supply, and then I decided to run that 5 mile course to see where I am at this point. I did it in 35:56, 7:11 miles. Whatever, I typically set low goals as a way to keep expectations and disappointment low. Having soundly beaten my goal, I can now sit back on my laurels and stop running in favor of drinking beer for the next 3 and a half weeks until the race.

No comments: