Sunday, April 13, 2003

Not getting a wink of sleep last night threw a wrench into my plans, although I did want to spend more time at the Grand Canyon anyway. I checked out by 11:00 as planned, but instead of planning to leave, I decided to leave things to fate. I would try to get a room at a cheaper place for the night, but if they were all booked, I would leave. I got one of the last rooms left at Bright Angel Lodge and that sealed my fate - I was staying another night.

I made a day of it. I rode out along the "Hermit's Road" which is available only by shuttle bus, foot, bike, or special permission. It was an excellent 16 mile roundtrip ride, albeit with frequent stops to take in the view. Hiking it would have also been nice, but I liked the independence and convenience of being on my bike. After I got back, I got a caffeine fix and hiked the Rim Trail that runs along Grand Canyon Village, and then started down the Bright Angel Trail which goes down into the canyon, but the sun was going down and I only went down a little bit.

My evening ended early with a beer, my third drink of this trip, and calling it a night.

No comments: