Friday, April 18, 2003

The San Francisco International Film Festival has started. Being duly unemployed, and having just blown a wad romping through the American Southwest, my plan is to only catch matinees, and no buying tickets in advanced. If it's sold out, I don't see it. Today I saw a prison film from Japan called "Doing Time". It was very funny, but it was hard to nail down the take on the Japan prison system, or if it was even trying to have one at all. On one hand the discipline is rigid and unforgiving, and freedoms tightly regulated, but the characters take in the experience with the greatest of gusto and appreciation of what they do have. I walked out of the film with a peaceful, relaxed glow. I would say the life philosophy is a good one. I would highly recommend the film, but would warn that you should eat before seeing it. I was squirming during the food scenes and a bag of popcorn just didn't satisfy.

While I was riding home, I turned off Market onto Valencia and was shocked that I didn't recognize the area! Meghan might not have recognized it, and she used to live right there! They've begun tearing down the Central Freeway and it has totally opened up the area, but without the freeway, I lost my bearing of what should be where. I can't wait until they remove the part that crosses Market St. Once that goes, the area will be so nice with a clear view from the Castro down Market St.

No comments: